Will the penalty I face for possession of marijuana be worse if I was arrested near a school in New Orleans?
- Schools. This includes public and private elementary schools, secondary schools, vocational schools, colleges and universities.
- School property. This includes playgrounds, parks, recreational facilities and other property or buildings owned or operated by a school.
- Drug treatment facility. This includes property that is used for diagnostic, treatment, or rehabilitative services for patients and their families for problems related to alcohol, drug, or substance abuse.
- Religious building or property. This includes churches, synagogues, mosques, and other property that is used for religious worship or other religious purposes.
- Public housing authority property. This is property owned or operated by a public housing authority or agency.
- Child day care. This is any property that is licensed as a day care center or group child day care home.
You may not claim that you did not know you were in a drug-free zone as a defense, according to Louisiana law. That does not mean, however, that you do not have any defenses to the charges against you. Instead, it means that you must take the charges seriously and take action today to protect your rights. Whether you are from out of town or you live here in New Orleans, we encourage you to browse our free resources and to start a live chat with us today to learn more about your rights.